As you may or may not know, we will soon be starting the search process for a new settled minister. First, we need to select a Search Committee, and in order to do that, the Board of Trustees will be making phone calls to members to select nominees. The Board is looking for members that will best serve the needs of our church community.
What to Expect
If you are a member of UUCE, expect to receive a phone call from a Board member, asking for your opinion about what members would be best suited to represent UUCE in this search. To help you consider what would make a good candidate, we’ve included a list of questions to think about in advance of your phone call:
- What good qualities are needed for someone to serve on a Ministerial Search Committee?
- Who in the congregation works well with others?
- Who can represent and serve the whole congregation, including youth, and not just a piece or “faction” of the congregation?
- Who would have no “axe to grind”?
- Who knows, or can learn, the history and culture of the congregation?
- Who can use this history proactively, instead of reactively on behalf of the congregation?
- Who has been or is active in the congregation, and has demonstrated both responsible participation, and responsible leadership?
- After a high salary, the most attractive quality a congregation can have is self-awareness: what a congregation is like at its best, worst, and on average, and where its strengths and weaknesses lie. Who would be able to understand and relate all this to potential candidates?
- With all these questions in mind, who would you trust to serve on the Search Committee on behalf of the congregation?
If you have any questions about this or any part of the Search process, please reach out to any member of the Board of Trustees.